PM Modi launches Khelo India Mobile App to promote fitness
Prime Minister Narendra Modi launched the Khelo India Mobile App at the Youth Parliament Festival in New Delhi. Developed by the Sports Authority of India, the App helps create awareness about sports and fitness, especially among youngsters.
- Minister of Youth Affairs and Sports Col. Rajyavardhan Singh Rathore was also present at the launch of the App which has been developed both in Hindi and English.
Smriti Irani inaugurates Titanwala Museum in Rajasthan’s Bagru
Union Textiles Minister Smriti Irani inaugurated the ‘Titanwala Museum’ in Bagru that showcases the Chhipacommunity’s hand-block printing. The Union minister was accompanied by Jaipur MP Ramcharan Bohra who requested for setting up of a sewage treatment plant in Bagru.
Assam CM Sonowal launches PRANAM Commission to protect parents of govt employees
Assam chief minister Sarbananda Sonowal launched the PRANAM Commission, a panel set up to look after the issues concerning a Bill brought in for protection of parents of state government employees. The Parents Responsibility and Norms for Accountability and Monitoring (PRANAM) Bill, stated to be the first-of its-kind Bill in the country, is an effort to protect elderly parents of government employees in their times of need.
BOOKS & AUTHORS
Venkaiah Naidu Launched the book ‘Quality, Accreditation & Ranking’ by Dr. H Chaturvedi
Vice President M Venkaiah Naidu launched the book titled ‘Quality, Accreditation, and Ranking – A Silent Revolution in the Offing in Indian Higher Education’ edited by Education Promotion Society for India’s (EPSI) Alternate President Dr. H Chaturvedi in New Delhi.
- The book launch function was organized by EPSI, BIMTECH and Bloomsbury Pvt Ltd.
BUSINESS & ECONOMY
RBI removes Allahabad Bank, Corporation Bank, Dhanlakshmi Bank from PCA framework
The Reserve Bank of India (RBI) said that Allahabad Bank, Corporation Bank and Dhanlaxmi Bank have been taken out of the Prompt Corrective Action (PCA) framework. The Board for Financial Supervision (BFS) reviewed the performance of banks under PCA and noted that the government has infused fresh capital recently into various banks including some of the banks currently under the PCA framework.
Mukesh Ambani first Indian to join top 10 richest list: Hurun Research
With a net worth of $54 billion, Reliance Industries Chairman Mukesh Ambani has broken into the global top 10 richest billionaire list compiled by Hurun Research.
- The Hurun Global Rich List 2019 is topped by Amazon chief Jeff Bezos for the second year in a row, while the senior Ambani is placed 8th with a network of Rs 3.83 trillion. Ambani is the only Asian among the top 10placed 8th with a network of Rs 3.83 trillion. Ambani is the only Asian among the top 10placed 8th with a network of Rs 3.83 trillion.
Suresh Raina became first Indian to score 8000 runs in T20s
Suresh Raina has become the first Indian batsman to cross 8000 runs in T20 cricket. Raina achieved this feat when he scored 12 runs in Uttar Pradesh’s 77-run victory over Puducherry in what was incidentally his 300th T20.
- He is only the second Indian after MS Dhoni to have played that many matches in the shortest format of the game.
Muhammadu Buhari Re-elected as Nigerian President
Nigerian President Muhammadu Buhari has been re-elected for a second four-year term. The 76-year-old defeated his main rival, former Vice-President Atiku Abubakar, with a margin of nearly four million votes.
- A former soldier, Mr Buhari led a military regime for 20 months in the 1980s and was first elected president in 2015, becoming the first opposition candidate to defeat an incumbent and win the presidency