January 26 – 70th Republic Day
- 70th Republic Day was celebrated with patriotic fervor and enthusiasm across the Country. The main function was organized at Rajpath in the National Capital. President Ram Nath Kovind unfurled the Tricolour and took the salute of the parade. South African President Cyril Ramaphosa was the Chief Guest at the Parade this year.
Telangana Women and Child Welfare Department organized National Girl Child Day
MP announces employment scheme for urban poor youth
On the occasion of Republic Day, Madhya Pradesh Chief Minister Kamal Nath announced the launch of the ‘Yuva Swabhiman Yojana’ for youths from the economically weaker sections in urban areas.
- Under this scheme, 100 days of employment will be provided to youths from economically weaker sections in urban areas. They will also be given skill training. While those in rural areas get employment under the Mahatma Gandhi National Rural Employment Guarantee Act (MNREGA), the urban poor youth are left out. This scheme will effectively cover them.
WHO lists 10 threats to global health in 2019
The World Health Organization (WHO) has listed out 10 global health threats for 2019, adding that millions of lives will be at risk if these threats are not addressed. According to the WHO, the plan focuses on a triple billion target that includes ensuring 1 billion more people benefiting from access to universal health coverage, 1 billion more people being protected from health emergencies and 1 billion more people enjoying better health and well-being.
Sahitya Akademi Award Winning Bengali Writer Atin Bandyopadhyay Passes Away
BUSINESS & ECONOMY
I&B Ministry to increase advertisement rates by 11% to private TV channels
- Information and Broadcasting Ministry has decided to revise the advertisement rates offered by the Bureau of Outreach and Communication (BOC) to private TV channels.
- The revised rates have been announced on the basis of a Review Committee constituted by the Ministry which submitted its report on 1st of this month.
Tamil Nadu State government bagged awards for BBBP scheme
China to become world’s biggest retail market in 2019: Research firms eMarket
China is poised to become the world’s top retail market in 2019, displacing the US. China’s retail sales this year will surpass that of the US by more than $100 billion, according to eMarketer’s latest worldwide retail and ecommerce forecast.
- Bharat Ratna Award – Social activist Nanaji Deshmukh, Music maestro Bhupen Hazarika and former President Pranab Mukherjee
- Ashoka Chakra award[India’s highest peacetime gallantry award] – Lance Naik Nazir Ahmad Wani of J&K [posthumously]
- Kirti Chakra award – Major Tushar Gauba
Australian Open Tennis
- In the Women’s Singles Final of the Australian Open, the first major of the season, at Melbourne, Osaka, seeded fourth, defeated eighth-placed Czech Petra Kvitova, 7-6, 5-7, 6-4.
- Japan’s Naomi Osaka has become the first player since 2001 to win back-to-back Grand Slam titles.
- Novak Djokovic will take on Rafael Nadal of Spain in the Single’s finals of tothe urnament.