January 24 – International Day of Education
- International Day of Education is celebrated every year on January 24. The right to education is enshrined in article 26 of the Universal Declaration of Human Rights. The declaration calls for free and compulsory elementary education.
January 24 – National Girl Child Day
- National Girl Child Day is being observed. The theme this year is ‘Empowering Girls for a Brighter Tomorrow’.
- The Women and Child Development Ministry has organised an event in Delhi to observe the anniversary of ‘Beti Bachao Beti Padhao’ scheme.
2nd World Integrated Medicine Forum 2019 starts in Goa
The 2nd World Integrated Medicine Forum 2019 on the Regulation of Homeopathic Medical Products held in Goa. AYUSH Minister Shripad Naik inaugurated the three day forum. 20 countries will participate in the event.
Microsoft launches e-platform under Project ReWeave to help Handloom weavers
Microsoft India launched a new e-commerce platform ‘re-weave.in’ under project ReWeave to aid handloom weavers. The e-commerce platform would connect artisans to the buyers directly enabling them to expand to newer customers and markets.
2-Day Global Investors Summit
- The two-day Global Investors Summit, being organised by Tamil Nadu government, is underway in Chennai.
- It is being participated by about five thousand delegates from industries in India and abroad.
China to become world’s biggest retail market in 2019: Report
China is set to overtake the United States as the world’s biggest retail market in 2019. Research firm eMarketer in a report published predicted that China’s total retail sales will grow 7.5 percent to reach $5.636 trillion in 2019, while that of the United States will grow 3.3 percent to $5.529 trillion.
Kamala Harris raises over 1 Million USD within 24 hrs
- In the United States, Kamala Harris, the first Indian-origin Senator, has raised a whopping more than 1 million US Dollar funds within 24 hours after announcing her Presidential bid for 2020.
- Pravasi Bharatiya Samman Award – Girish Pant, Surender Singh Kandhari and Dr Zulekha Daud [Three Indian expats from the UAE]
- Sir Garfield Sobers Trophy – Virat Kohli
- Emerging Cricketer of the Year – Rishabh Pant
- Umpire of the Year – Sri Lanka’s Kumar Dharmasena
- Spirit of Cricket award – New Zealand cricketer Kane Williamson
Ravneet Gill to replace Rana Kapoor as YES Bank MD & CEO
YES Bank has appointed Deutsche Bank’s Ravneet Singh Gill as its MD and CEO, who will succeed Rana Kapoor. Gill, who is the CEO of Deutsche Bank’s India operations, will join the private lender on or before March 1, 2019.
Indonesia Masters Badminton
- PV Sindhu and Kidambi Srikanth reached the quarter-finals at the Indonesia Masters Badminton in Jakarta.
Australian Open Tennis
- Petra Kvitova from Czech Republic and Naomi Osaka from Japan have reached the Women Singles Grand Slam finals.