March 21 – International Day for the Elimination of Racial Discrimination
- The International Day for the Elimination of Racial Discrimination is observed annually on 21 March. Proclaiming the day in 1966, the United Nations General Assembly called on the international community to redouble its efforts to eliminate all forms of racial discrimination.
- 2019 Theme: Mitigating and countering rising nationalist populism and extreme supremacist ideologies
March 21 – World Poetry Day
- World Poetry Day is celebrated on 21 March, and was declared by UNESCO (the United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization) in 1999. Its purpose is to promote the reading, writing, publishing and teaching of poetry throughout the world.
March 21 – World Down Syndrome Day
- World Down Syndrome Day (WDSD) is on March 21. On this day, people with Down syndrome and those who live and work with them throughout the world organize and participate in activities and events to raise public awareness and create a single global voice for advocating for the rights, inclusion and well being of people with Down syndrome.
March 21 – International Day of Forests
- The United Nations General Assembly proclaimed 21 March the International Day of Forests (IDF) in 2012. The Day celebrates and raises awareness of the importance of all types of forests.
- The theme for each International Day of Forests is chosen by the Collaborative Partnership on Forests.
- 2019 Theme – Forests and Education.
Kazakhstan to rename country’s capital Astana as Nursultan
Kazakhstan’s parliament voted to rename the country’s capital Astana as Nursultan in honour of longtime ruler Nursultan Nazarbayev, a day after he resigned as president. Astana is now officially renamed Nursultan. Kazakhstan’s new interim president Kassym-Jomart Tokayev proposed renaming the capital.
BANKING & FINANCE
SBI inks pact with Bank of China for business opportunities
SBI has signed a memorandum of understanding (MoU) with Bank of China, third-largest bank in the world by capital size and one of the major players in the Chinese banking sector, to enhance business synergies between both the banks. This MoU will facilitate the clients of both the banks to access banking products and services of each other, which will lead to a mutually beneficial relationship.
Sudin Dhavalikar, Vijay Sardesai Appointed Goa Deputy CMs
Sudin Dhavalikar and Vijai Sardesai were appointed deputy chief ministers in the BJP led government in Goa. The development came soon after Chief Minister Pramod Sawant proved the majority of his two-day old government in the state Assembly floor test without any hiccups.
Brazilian astronomer Marcelo Gleiser wins 2019 Templeton Prize
Brazilian physicist and astronomer Marcelo Gleiser has been awarded the 2019 Templeton Prize, worth $1.4m, for his work blending science and spirituality. Gleiser is the first Latin American to win the award, which honours “a living person who has made an exceptional contribution to affirming life’s spiritual dimension”.
Piyush Goyal among seven Indians in ‘World’s 100 Most Influential People in Climate Policy for 2019’
Union Ministers Piyush Goyal and Dr Harsh Vardhan are among the 7 Indians who have been named in the ‘World’s 100 Most Influential People in Climate Policy for 2019’ for taking steps in order to combat climate change. Piyush Goyal has led the fast track electrification of nearly 18,000 unelectrified villages while Harsh Vardhan launched the anti-plastic bag campaign in Delhi and the “Green Shopper Campaign”, which promotes business partnerships with manufacturing of environment-friendly products.
India wins 368 medals at Special Olympics World Summer Games
India returned with 368 medals, including 85 gold, at the Special Olympics World Summer Games which was held at Abu Dhabi, UAE from March 14 to 21. The Indian team of 284 athletes also clinched 154 silver and 129 bronze medals in its highly successful campaign at the prestigious event.